[Product-Developers] Re: forcing Plone 3 to always show the right column

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Jan 24 00:26:19 UTC 2008

Stephan Altmueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to force Plone 3 to always show the right column
> (portal-column-two), regardless whether there is a portlet
> defined or not.
> And I want to do that without changing the main template.
>
> I have dug into the portlet manager code and there is a
> property defined called "visible" that essentially controls
> whether the portlet is shown or not.
>
> I figured I could subclass the corresponding class
> ("PortletManagerRenderer"), override the visible property and
> make Plone use my version of the class. But I am not able to
> figure out whether that's possible and how to do it ?

Mmmm... It'd be a lot easier to override main_template. ;)

> That was the only approach I could come up with, does anybody know
> whether this makes sense or have a better idea ?

In Plone 3.1, you'll probably get the option of installing a portlet
manager that uses a different class than the default. That'd let you do
what you just asked for (via portlets.xml in GS). For now, you'd need to
hack the local component registry.

Martin