[Product-Developers] Dynamic resources

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:19:05 UTC 2008

Andreas Jung-5 wrote:

> What do you mean with "need templating". So far the resource registry were
> sufficient for me. I am not sure if I would be interested in cooperating
> too much Z3 components - just for the sake of having them incorporated.
> Possibly you mean something else? :-)

Maybe everything exists in Plone to do it, but I couldn't find the way to do
it.
Here's my use case:

Right now, as far I as can see, dtml is still in usage in CMFPlone,
but I want to be able to provide dynamic css files with a modern templating
system.

Using PageTemplates instead of dtml would be doable, but the xml-like syntax
would obfuscate a bit the files.

z3c.zrtresource is a nice solution because you can do some templating from
commands that are located within /* comments */ in .js and .css files.

See Stephan's blog about it here:
http://www.lovelysystems.com/srichter/2006/09/20/the-skin-browser-and-lovely-systems-new-development-workflow/

This makes the css and js file still valid if you work with third-party
designers

So I was wondering:

1. are they similar tools already in Plone ?
2. what are the plans for Plone dtml files that are used for css and js ? (I
should ask this one in Core@ maybe)

Tarek