[Product-Developers] Re: GS profiles and Plone versions

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri Jan 18 18:06:27 UTC 2008

Raphael Ritz, on 2008-01-17:
> Héctor Velarde wrote:
>> it seems to me that in Plone 3.0 this is a little bit different (objects
>> doesn't have Properties tab) so... do I have to create a different
>> profile for a Plone 3.0 installation?
>>

> It's annoying but yes.
>
> But you don't need to duplicate your profile entirely.
> Just spit it into two parts (one for Plone 3 and one
> for all the changes from there to support 2.5) and
> have your install do the version check and load the
> respective profile(s).
>
> Alternatively, you could put some magic into an 'importVarious'
> step to do the adjustment but that's more of a hack than anything.
> (at least I'm not aware of any conditional configurations via GS)
>
> Other suggestions anyone?

For eXtremeManagement (just eggified btw) I used an upgrade step in
combination with an upgrade profile:

http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/Products.eXtremeManagement/trunk/Products/eXtremeManagement/profiles.zcml

This means when going from a Plone 2.5 to a 3.0 site, you need to
reinstall eXtremeManagement normally in the quickinstaller and then go
to the Upgrade tab of portal_setup and run the upgrade step there.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/