[Product-Developers] PloneSoftwareCenter / PyPI : classification coherence

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:04:36 UTC 2008

Ok, here's my proposal. That's a lot of work, so I need to make sure that's
what everyone involved agrees before I code it:

1/ A new field is added, called Trove, that
   contains the flat list of classifiers

2/ Each one one of this field become a single value that is
   hooked to the Trove by its first discriminant:

   Categories = 'Topic'
   Available licenses = 'License'
   Platforms = 'Operating System'

3/ The Version field stays like it is, and keep by default
   Plone versions

4/ The leave of the trove branch is used to display the elements

For instance, this classification:

Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management :: Link Checking
Topic :: Multimedia
Topic :: Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Analysis
License :: Nokia Open Source License (NOKOS)
License :: OSI Approved :: Academic Free License (AFL)
Operating System :: Microsoft :: Windows

Will end up having on the front page of PSC three categories:

Link Checking | Multimedia | Analysis

The only problem with that is that the leaves labels are not unique, for
example:

Topic :: Desktop Environment :: K Desktop Environment (KDE) :: Themes
Topic :: Desktop Environment :: Window Managers :: CTWM :: Themes

Would end up into a front page with two 'Themes' that does not refer
to the same leave.

To prevent it, the front page could look like this:

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management :: Link Checking | Multimedia |
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Analysis

But this doesn't look right... So my proposal is to compute a unique label
for each leave, by adding the previous node for the leaves that have the
same label, in order to have the shortest unique name.

5/ The user will have to manage the trove himself, and a trove editor could
help him a little bit.
My proposal on this is to provide a form that contains the whole trove in a
text area

Regards
Tarek