[Product-Developers] PloneSoftwareCenter / PyPI : classification coherence

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:06:12 UTC 2008

Hello,

In my pypi branch, the PyPI Trove classifiers and the PSC Categories are
synchronized by default.

This means that a fresh PSC will have in its categories all elements that
can be found in the Trove classification.

Here's a few problems with this

1/ redundancy

That makes other classifiers a bit redundant:

- Available licenses
- Versions
- Platforms

Before proposing a solution, I would like to point out that "categories" is
a very generic
field in PSC, and will let a user add anything he wants there.  Available
Licences, Versions and
Platforms are more precise in the nature of the values they are holding.

2/ ugly views

since a package can be found in tons of categories, the front page will
become
ugly with a PyPI-like trove classifier:
http://products.ingeniweb.com/catalog

The categories displayed on the project header will be unreadable as well.

Here's my proposal:

1. let's drop available licenses, versions and platforms, they will be
available in the trove

2. let's keep the "categories" field as a flat list like it is now, like the
PyPI implementation does.
    otherwise, we might fail into very complex matters if we want to have a
smart tree,
    linked to other fields, etc.

3. let's add a new field called "display_categories" where the user can pick
the categories he wants
    to appear at the front page and in all views, with a contracted title
for each. Otherwise we will get
    something that does not look right.

This solution is focusing on trying to stick with the official PyPI
metadata, and with the fact
that all packages out there will follow these classifiers.

But to be sure PSC stays a full-featured Software Center, it is really
important imho to
be able to use custom classifiers.

Tarek