[Product-Developers] Proposal: adding a pre-commit hook in the collective

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:53:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have found some places in the collective where the code has some CR ending
line (^M) and some tabulation. It has broken some products lately with
indentation problems, (LinguaPlone, PloneBoard IIRC)

I would like to suggest adding a pre-commit hook in the collective (and in
other repositories if it's not the case) to prevent from this. I don't think
it is overkill to do this, especially in such repositories where a lot of
people work.

As a result, this would pop an error on commits when such characters are
found.  I have set such a hook in our repository, it's quite simple (see
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2006/11/01/protecting-a-python-svn-code-base-with-the-pre-commit-hook
with a small variation: it also display line numbers now)

++
Tarek