[Product-Developers] Re: genesis status?

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 21 20:32:21 UTC 2008

pjesi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I basically had to take a break from Plone to finish dissertation,
> move to my home country, and start a new job. But I just started
> working with Plone again. There are a few remaining things that I
> would need to do before releasing, mainly related to unicode support,
> rount-trip, and relations. There are however other approaches that I
> would like to evaluate.
>
> There are some things I would like to do in Plone after seeing how
> things are done in a big Java based CMS that we used for a large
> corporate website project. In that CMS, content-types are completely
> done TTW with no limitations whatsoever. This is of tremendous value
> as the integrators can do all the 'integration' work, which leaves the
> developers to the more fun part of developing new features (at least
> that has been my experience :).
>
> Anyways, I want to take back some of the neat things I have been doing
> in this project back to Plone and it looks like some of them crosscut
> the plans from the summit (TTW development, refactoring of content-
> types, etc). It looks to me that if we get the TTW story good (with
> hooks to extend on the filesystem), then there is no need for any
> tools.

Speaking for myself, I much prefer the textual genesis approach to agx.
Filling in Python in tagged values isn't my idea of a fun time. ;)

I haven't been following the Dexterity thread on plone-dev (too much
traffic!), so I don't know what it will eventually look like. But, there
is a good possibility that genesis will still be more efficient for
developers comfortable with text who don't want to write
lightly-customized boilerplate.

We also have genesis *now* - I don't know how far away 4.0 is, but it's
a while away, and, even once released, will take many of us a long time
to upgrade to it, if uptake on 3.0 is any indication of what 4.0 will be
like.

So, I think genesis fills an important niche, now and in the future. I
encourage you to keep working on it, if only for my sake. :) I'm
actually using quite a bit now.

In addition to the plea for continued development, I am stumbling across
a few minor things that I think need fixing. Do you mind if I check them
in? Or would you rather I create a 'derek-branch'? Currently, they are
tiny things (like changing the skin layer registration to all skins
rather than Plone Default, etc). I would, of course, create a branch for
anything bigger than a few line patch. And I'll accompany the ci's with
-m's that describe what I'm doing and why, so you can roll them back if
you disagree.

Thanks!

Derek