[Product-Developers] Thoughts on championing OOTB themes

Espen Moe-Nilssen espen at medialog.no
Thu Feb 21 09:31:07 UTC 2008

Hi

Den 21. feb. 2008 kl. 01.44 skrev Ken Wasetis [at Contextual]:

> Veda,
>
> You're absolutely right - we're way behind where some of the other
> open source projects/communities are on this one.  It appears that
> the Drupal folks had the same idea regarding the use of
> csszengarden as a model:  http://themegarden.org/drupal50/   (many,
> many drupal skins demonstrated.)
>
> If you google 'joomla themes', 'mambo themes', or 'drupal themes',
> it's pretty revealing how much of a market there should be for a
> Plone themes site, and I think that's what it likely may take
> (perhaps a site with a ratings feature and that allows different
> designers/developers to upload their themes - not just a per-vendor
> site, though those sites would proliferate more wide skinning of
> Plone as well.)

The "competition" has lots of nice themes copared to plone.

> Here are some more examples (related to Joomla):
> http://www.joomla-themes.co.uk/
> http://www.joomla-themes.biz/
> http://www.joomla-themes.org/
>
> For mambo:
> http://www.themesbase.com/?category=Mambo
> http://www.pixelsparadise.com/
> http://www.themegurus.com/
>
> Many of the themes are $30-$50 USD, which is pretty amazing to me.
> I've though of contacting some of their developers to have them
> port them to Plone - how hard could it be if you have the PSD files
> and a little DIYPlone help or paster script help, right?

With just the PSD files making a theme is not that fast, would at
least take a day, probably more.
If you have the access to a site running the theme I consider things
a bit easier.
If for example some (different) people wanted the same theme, a price
of 30-50$ would be possible, remember, there is quite a lot of
content types and css in plone.
If there is a wish to port some themes to plone and a little money in
it (maybe $150?),, this would be fun to do.

Alsoi, if porting A LOT of themes from for example jombla, the
average time to create a theme could be a bit faster (as its possible
to search/repleace in css files)