[Product-Developers] Thoughts on championing OOTB themes

Ken Wasetis [at Contextual] kw_dev_lists at contextualcorp.com
Thu Feb 21 01:28:17 UTC 2008

Veda,

It seems to me to be a very easy sell (then why haven't I?) to the
existing mambo/joomla/drupal skin producers to just learn enough about
another tool (Plone) that gives them yet another channel to get a few
more miles out of designs they've already done the hard work on.

These people/shops already run ecommerce sites to sell/download their
new Plone skins from and understand the model for doing that.  I think
they just hear of the Plone learning curve and get scared off, but I've
seen non-Python/non-Plone developer-designers pick up the Plone skinning
process rather quickly.

If these designers see the size of the Plone market and the dearth of
available skins for download, I would think they'd be licking their
chops to repurpose their skins and get some more sales.

I really think that attacking this from the perspective of getting those
who already sell site themes and from the perspective of having some
free site themes, but then also really good ones for a fee (just like
their model on the other CMS platforms) is the way to grow the available
pool of Plone skins quickly.

Plus, if my work is any indication, I think a lot of the Plone work is
done for 'clients' versus there being a lot of mambo/joomla/drupal sites
that were done by hobbyists that just want to throw a cooler skin on
their site than the default.  So, a lot of the Plone skins out there, I
suspect, are more client-specific and less able to be shared to the
general downloading public.

just my .02 again.

-Ken