[Product-Developers] Re: buildout.cfg within a package

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Aug 5 07:05:22 UTC 2008

Previously Alexander Limi wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:44:07 -0700, Rob Miller
> <ra at burningman.com> wrote:
>
> >i've seen something different but eerily similar in another situation.
> >i commonly have zope instances running in a directory named "zope"
> >inside a virtualenv.  if i run './zope/bin/zopectl test
> >-sProducts.SomeProduct' then it doesn't work, i see error messages with
> >duplicated paths, similar to what you've seen.  it works, however, if i
> >'cd zope' first, and simply call './bin/zopectl tests
> >-sProducts.SomeProduct'
> >
> >i just tried it with your buildout, and sure enough it works if i cd
> >into the bin directory and run './instance debug'.
>
> There's lots of variations of this bug; if you do cd bin; buildout — it
> doesn't work, but if you do bin/buildout, it does. Quite confusing for our
> newbies, although it's understandable that it works the way it does from
> an implementation standpoint.

That's different: buildout looks for buildout.cfg in the current
directory. That is documented and correct behaviour - it would be mad if
buildout went looking all over for its configuration.  Similarly
supervisord/supervisorctl as used in the plone_hosting template also
expect to be run form the root of the buildout directory if you don't
pass a path to a configfile in.

Wichert.