[Product-Developers] Re: Releasing products (betas) and pypi

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Apr 12 10:54:32 UTC 2008

Dylan Jay wrote:
> Tim Hicks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A secondary question is: should I be uploading eggs for beta releases to
>> pypi (which I've never used), or is that bad form?  (I've seen
>> complaints recently about the amount of garbage there is in pypi.)
>>
>> In general, then, how are people making product releases of this sort?
>
> No one seem to be have answered this question. I can't say except from
> an end users perspective and my answer would be yes. I want to put your
> Products.Quills into eggs= in my buildout, run buildout and everything
> is done for me. I want this to get every release including beta releases
> and I don't want betas I will put a version number in.
> This is how I use plone4artists and portlet.static for instance.
>
> Is it true that the work on PloneSoftwareCenter will merge with pypi so
> publishing your products is as simple as uploading to PSC or plone.org?

Upload alphas, betas and rcs as well as final release. Otherwise, people
struggle to get at them.

Don't upload development snapshots, though! All releases should have
tags in svn and be as usable as possible.

I've written a script here:
http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/ploneout/trunk/src/release-egg.sh

I use it like this:

  $ cd src
  $ release-egg.sh plone.portlets 1.1rc1 1.0

That will tag and release plone.portlets 1.1rc1 and set the new version
in trunk (or whichever branch it came from) to be 1.0.

Martin