[Product-Developers] Re: Releasing products (betas) and pypi

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Sat Apr 12 06:37:59 UTC 2008

Reinout van Rees wrote:
> Martin Aspeli schreef:
>>
>> Right - buildout is a configuration management tool (more or less).
>>
>> If you require people to use a specific buildout.cfg (or even
>> block-copy one
>> from your product's buildout.cfg) for your product to be reasonably
>> deployable, then you are not using it right. :)
>>
>> Installing a package should mean including a single egg, in general. That
>> should use setup.py install_requires to pull in other eggs as required.
>
> Are many of the non-buildout-using people used to do this? An
> easy_install call is easy, but also global by default. All instances
> using the same python get the newly easy_installed item in their python
> path. (Unless they're using virtualenv).
>
> I get the feeling that most people don't use easy_install, though. They
> copy things into their lib/python.
>
> And telling people to use a specific buildout is waaaay easier than
> telling them how to move things into lib/python. So I can understand
> buildout is sometimes treated as a deployment tool...

telling people to use a specific buildout is nasty, since most buildouts
assume lots of things. For instance I use buildout on windows and I
don't get it to install zope, than I use a normall installer for that
and use the location setting to point it to that.

I should be able to use my buildout and just add eggs to it to make my
custom mix of configuration. And if its one egg that pulls in its own
dependencies that even more nice. and yes I use buildout for deployment
too. It ensures I have the same environment in development, testing and
production.

A bad example at the moment is getpaid. I have to use their svn checkout
of their buildout which is an approach completely incompatible with
checking out my buildout.

So +1 for publishing one egg and don't publish buildouts