[Product-Developers] Re: Releasing products (betas) and pypi

Florian Schulze florian.schulze at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 14:10:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:35:53 +0200, Tim Hicks
<tim at sitefusion.co.uk> wrote:

> My question is: how should I cut these releases so that they are *as
> easy as possible for the end-user to try out*?  We had a fair bit of
> trouble with this before when we made 1.6 releases.  It seems that just
> providing buildouts is of little use to many users.

A first step would be to add proper dependencies to each egg. So for
example in Products.QuillsEnabled's setup.py you add
Products.fatsyndication if it's a direct dependency (the line where
"setuptools" is listed). That way the user only needs to easy_install
Products.QuillsEnabled and the other packages will automatically be added.
For a buildout you just add Products.QuillsEnabled to eggs and zcml. Also
QuillsEnabled's configure.zcml should include the packages which it needs,
so they don't have to be added to the zcml line in buildout.cfg separately.

Why is quills.app a whole package instead of a namespace?

At least for the plone namespace the idea is that plone.* are independent
of Plone or even Zope itself and plone.app.* is anything which needs Plone
specific, like CMF awarenes etc.

> A secondary question is: should I be uploading eggs for beta releases to
> pypi (which I've never used), or is that bad form?  (I've seen
> complaints recently about the amount of garbage there is in pypi.)

As long as PSC isn't PyPi enabled on plone.org releasing them on PyPi is
ok IMO.

I didn't look into QuillsEnabled yet, but the idea is very promising!

Regards,
Florian Schulze