[Product-Developers] please recommend (or warn me off) a linux flavor that can...

David Durham, Jr. david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:17:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM, PythonHack <pythonhack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Plonistas
>
>  I FINALLY get to set up a linux box! (there is a God after all) and I
>  need to impress the bean-counters.
>
>  This box will be used for python/zope/plone development (and proof of
>  the stack) but I need a kickstart selecting a linux flavor.
>
>  I have tons of DOS/windows experience (25+ years) but virtually none of
>  unix/linux.  I am confident I can learn what I need to 'on the fly' but
>  right now the OS has to 'just work' (I can't get into compiling it, etc.)
>
>  I need to setup multiple instances of plone 3 with zeo (via buildout) as
>  quickly as possible and with the absolute least difficulty.  I may also
>  be setting up:
>         - pound with apache (it's a quad core box)
>         - entransit and/or deliverance
>         - varnish
>
>  I had looked at centOS and ubuntu server.

I'm happy with Repoze and Ubuntu as described here:

   http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/install-plone-3-behind-apache-and-mod_wsgi-using-repoze/tutorial-all-pages

Unfortunately, I had to go through a long process of solving
dependency issues with CentOS 3, because that's what we use.  Probably
more recent versions of CentOS will install more smoothly.

-Dave