Contributor role should be sufficient to add content, no?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 00:43:43 UTC 2007

Tom Lazar wrote:
> hi, i'm having trouble with the contributor role,
>
> the specific case is with Quills, where we grant users with
> Contributor Role to add weblog entries. and indeed, such users do get
> a 'Add Weblog entry' link in their 'Add' menu. However, when they
> click on that link they get an insufficient privileges error:
>
> Access requires one of the following roles: ['Manager', 'Owner'].
> Your roles in this context are ['Authenticated', 'Contributor',
> 'Editor', 'Member', u'Reader', u'Reviewer'].

You'll need to debug a bit closer, though: exactly what is it that it's
trying to access? Most likely, this is something specific to Quills.

> this presents the absurd situation where we offer the user to create
> content eventhough he doesn't factually have sufficient privileges to
> do so. i wrote a test that illustrates this:
>
> http://dev.plone.org/collective/changeset/49932
>
> maybe i'm just not understanding the idea of the contributor role.
> but the name does suggest that it should grant the right to create
> content.

Contributor is generally given any custom "add" permission (via
rolemap.xml). If you look at Plone's rolemap.xml, you'll see how it's
done, and it ought to work for custom types too: it does for my custom
types at least. Most likely, there's something else (a vocabulary,
perhaps?) that uses a non-standard permission that's not granted to
Contributor.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress