Contributor role should be sufficient to add content, no?

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Sun Sep 23 00:39:23 UTC 2007

hi, i'm having trouble with the contributor role,

the specific case is with Quills, where we grant users with
Contributor Role to add weblog entries. and indeed, such users do get
a 'Add Weblog entry' link in their 'Add' menu. However, when they
click on that link they get an insufficient privileges error:

Access requires one of the following roles: ['Manager', 'Owner'].
Your roles in this context are ['Authenticated', 'Contributor',
'Editor', 'Member', u'Reader', u'Reviewer'].

this presents the absurd situation where we offer the user to create
content eventhough he doesn't factually have sufficient privileges to
do so. i wrote a test that illustrates this:

http://dev.plone.org/collective/changeset/49932

maybe i'm just not understanding the idea of the contributor role.
but the name does suggest that it should grant the right to create
content.

can anybody shed some light on this, please?

cheers,

tom