PloneHelpCenter svn status

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Sep 21 16:54:32 UTC 2007

Steve McMahon wrote:
> Rather than trying to stop changes in the PloneHelpCenter trunk, I've
> copied it off to branches/1.0, which will be the repository for work on
> the upcoming 1.0 release.
>
> PloneHelpCenter/trunk is now for work on 1.5.0. Compatibility target for
> 1.5 is Plone 2.5.x and Plone 3.0.x.
>
> branches/1.0 has a compatibility target of Plone 2.1.x and 2.5.x. May it
> live a short life.
>
> If you want to do work that's for Plone 3+ only, please open a branch.

IMHO, it makes more sense to have three branches:

  - one for Plone 2.1, which basically should be closed, except to
backport essential changes

  - one for Plone 2.5, which should be more or less what we have now,
and go into bugfix mode unless there are major outstanding issues

  - trunk for Plone 3.

Trying to keep both 2.5 and 3.0 compatibility is certainly possible, but
it gets messy and you will get deprecation warnings. I suspect the
maintenance overhead of having to backport essential fixes to a 2.5
branch won't be that big. If there's still major refactoring to be done
to target Plone 2.5, then we should keep doing that before we branch off
for 3.0, but I'd hope we'd be pretty close by now.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress