Putting buildouts in svn

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 12 22:49:40 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Florian Schulze wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:42:46 +0200, Derek Richardson
>> <derek.richardson at gatech.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> The Vice project is a top-level folder in the collective. Inside, there
>>> is the usual trunk/, branches/, and tags/. Inside trunk/ are several
>>> different packages targeted at Zope and Plone. I would like to add two
>>> buildouts, one for Zope 2 + Plone and another for Zope 3. Is there a
>>> standard or recommended way to add multiple buildouts to a project
>>> repository? I was thinking:
>>>
>>> Vice
>>>   +- trunk
>>>        +- buildouts
>>>             +- plone3.0
>>>             +- zope3.4
>>>        +- collective.baseid
>>>        +- collective.uuid
>>>        +- plone.syndication.outbound
>>>        +- plone.app.syndication.outbound
>>>   +- branches
>>>   +- tags
>>>
>>> I looked through a few projects in the collective to find a model, but
>>> didn't see one.
>>>
>>> P.S. Martin, this would be great info to have in your buildout tutorial.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Derek
>> Hi!
>>
>> I normally put them on the same level as trunk branches etc.
>>
>> Vice
>>   +- branches
>>   +- buildouts
>>   +- trunk
>>   +- tags
>
> For larger projects that use multiple products and/or packages I tend
> to put the buildouts at the same level as the products. In other words:
>
> 	Vice
> 	+- buildout
> 	|  +- devel
> 	|  +- production
> 	+- collective.something
> 	|  +- trunk
> 	|  +- branches
> 	|  +- tags
> 	+- collective.otherthing
> 	   +- trunk
> 	   +- branches
> 	   +- tags

Good suggestions - I sense a repository re-org in my near future. :(

The question is - what about having different buildouts for various branches or
tags? I like having different branches and tags for the different packages (of
course), but I may want particular versions of buildouts for different branches
and tags. I assume the global buildouts are always targeted at the trunks of the
packages.

But, no doubt, what I've already learned from these two posts is very valuable.
And I'm sure there's some svn technique to resolve my residual problem...

Thanks,

Derek