Do not remove downloads from plone.org

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Oct 25 09:34:44 UTC 2007

Previously Kevin Teague wrote:

> wichert wrote:
> >
> > I want to remind everyone that you should never remove or rename a
> > download once you have uploaded it to plone.org: doing so is likely to
> > break other peoples setup. This also holds for anything else that change
> > URLs for released software, such as renaming a release.
> >

> Hear, hear!
>
> Please do not delete or remove older releases. Even if buildouts fetch files
> from a more robust hosting solution one day, there is still the issue of
> older READMEs or other docs that might reference specific older releases by
> URL or by name.
>
> FWIW, I had to adjust a buildout a while back as this package went away one
> day ...
>
> http://plone.org/products/ploneldap/releases/1.0/PloneLDAP-1.0rc2.tar.gz
>
> My mild annoyance was mitigated by the fact that the software (PloneLDAP)
> works quite well :)

Point taken.. that was me doing the same bad thing. Unfortunately PSC
almost forces you to either do that or create separate full releases for
each pre-release. I'm going to switch to doing the latter. Even though that
is not how PSC is supposed to be used it is the only way to somewhat
sanely keep downloads around.

PloneLDAP is also available as an egg in PyPI now, which makes it even
easier to use :)

Wichert.