Do not remove downloads from plone.org

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Wed Oct 24 23:50:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>>No, you're not.  I always keep a copy of anything I install in my own
>>local src directory.  I work on the presumption that when I need to
>>rebuild something, its hosting website will be down, the versions
>>changed (dependency messes and all) and the author AWOL, and I have a
>>client standing over me demanding that it be 'just like it was' Right Now!
>
>Of course, that's sensible
>
>>I assume buildout can use something like this.  Relying on remotely
>>hosted and maintained stuff for production systems is a disaster waiting
>>to happen.
>
>If you put this in your ~/.buildout/default.cfg, you'll get all eggs
>ever downloaded in ~/.buildout/eggs and all tarballs in
>~/.buildout/downloads. So you won't have to download them yourself
>separately. ;)

A problem I have that I haven't been able to figure out is how
to work with eggs when building RPM packages for the OpenPKG
portable package management systems.  The standard distutils
allows ``python setup.py install --root=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT'' to
install relative to a build directory.  Is there any similar
ability when dealing with eggs?

So far I find eggs to be particularly annoying in that building
them often does what seem to me to be Strange Things(tm).  I
prefer to let the openpkg system deal with dependencies, not
have something sucking packages off the 'Net when doing a
scripted build.

Bill

If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal.  If you
want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative.  If you want
government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate.  If you don't want
government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist -- Joseph Sobran