[Plone-developers] Do not remove downloads from plone.org

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Oct 24 09:51:52 UTC 2007

Previously Max M wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman skrev:
> > I want to remind everyone that you should never remove or rename a
> > download once you have uploaded it to plone.org: doing so is likely to
> > break other peoples setup. This also holds for anything else that change
> > URLs for released software, such as renaming a release.
> >
> > Below is an example of the kind of breakage this causes.
>
> That system is waaay to fragile.
>
> I know that people love buildout but it seems like a bit of a dead end.
>
> A specific buildout needs very specific packages/eggs. As far as I can
> tell from the discussions on the lists.

Every deployment needs specific versions of specific products. Buildout
is just one way of installing them.

> Only now those packages are not in tgz file anymore, but spread out over
> Internet.
>
> Backwards compatibility *will* be massively broken by this approach.
>
> It only takes one company, or even person to loose a domain, or to have
> a fatal server crash to break all buildout scripts.
>
> I have tried too many time before to collect enough pieces to make an
> old Zope system come alive again. The original server broken down, and
> the backup being incomplete with only the Data.fs and a Products folder.
>
> Oftentimes failing due to missing packages that was no longer available.
>
> Now it seems that buildout based Zope is going to be based on this approach.
>
> Or am I being overly paranoid?

I think that what you are seeing is that the python world is still in
the process of developing a proper system for managing releases. If you
look at Debian for example it is still trivial to download the complete
Debian 1.1 release from 1998. There is no reason why we can't do
something similar for python.

PyPI is a partial solution to this: it offers a central location where
you can upload your releases and everyone can find and download them.
PSC on plone.org offers that as well but the way it is designed means it
is impossible to not remove or rename things without creating user
unfriendly clutter in its web interface. We need to live with that until
someone rewrites PSC.

Wichert.