plone buildout and Products namespace

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Oct 18 10:38:28 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Leonardo Rochael <leo at enfoldsystems.com> wrote:
> Your analysis is correct as far as Zope is concerned, and indeed my
> suggested change brings no benefit to a buildout configuration or to the
> operation of the Zope instance itself. The primary benefit of my suggestion
> is for tools that analyze python code to, for instance, try to catch import
> errors or do code completion.
>
> These tools do not try to run a Zope instance and as such do not understand
> that, for instance, the CMFCore" package is in effect under a "Products"
> package and so they complain when they see something like "from
> Products.CMFCore.utils import getToolByName".

WingIDE special-cases Zope in that it treats Zope products directories
as a namespace; it does support Products auto-completion if enabled.

*But* the support is a hack and I am sure the WingIDE guys rather drop
that special case in favour of general namespaces. And they can do so
for future versions of Zope once traditional products have
transitioned to using namespaces.

> I am not suggesting that all recipes should put their products under a
> single Products directory. Rather, each recipe that creates non-egg Products
> would be responsible for creating it's own "Products" namespace package and
> putting the products in there.

No need. Products will move to namespaces on their own just fine
without perpetuating the special casing in buildout.

--
Martijn Pieters