Hiding a Portlet in a Filesystem Package

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 16 22:23:04 UTC 2007

Hey. I'm writing a package to provide a Plone 3.0-compatible UI for PAS4CAS - a
replacement for PloneCASLogin, which has not been updated. The basics work. I
now want to hide the login portlet, since it is non-functional and confusing
with CAS.

I'm in a filesystem package, so my first thought was to remove the portlet using
GenericSetup. Alas, no luck - the handler in plone.app.portlets seems to only
support adding portlets, not removing them. I'm contemplating extending this
handler to remove portlets, as well. I'd then put the extended handler in my
product and submit a patch for plone.app.portlet.

Questions:

1 - Is there a better way to hide the login portlet from a filesystem package
than to do it through GenericSetup?
2 - If I patch the portlet handler, is this likely to be accepted back? If so,
what is the first plone version in which it is likely to be allowed in? I must
admit, I'm a little confused by 3.0.x vs 3.1 vs 3.5/4.0 and what is allowed in
each. ;)

Thanks,

Derek