Difficulties with Actions

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 8 19:37:41 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Derek Richardson wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the CAS server needs to know whether javascript and
>> cookies are enabled and this info is harvested on the linking page via
>> javascript and passed via the form parameters (the form method is GET)
>> to the CAS server.
>>
>> I don't know how to do this from a GenericSetup action registration.
>> It simply takes a URL which, while it can by dynamic, can't AFAICT
>> include javascript. Does anyone see how I can produce these urls from
>> action definitions?
>
> Why not just have it point to a view that works this out and then
> performs an immediate redirect?

Excellent idea. Thanks!

>> This reminds me of a post I made a few weeks ago that received no
>> replies entitled "Vertically Stacked Dynamic Links in Document Actions".
>
> Maybe because it had a terrible title? :-)

Yes, it was a bit dense, huh? ;)

>> It's short, so I'll include it here:
>>
>> #####
>>
>> I want to get an entry on the document actions line that has multiple
>> links. Example: stacked on top of each other, "Atom Feed", "RSS2
>> Feed", and "RSS Feed", each going to a separate url. But I don't want
>> them distributed horizontally, as separate document actions would have
>> it. Also, they must be dynamic based on the context - folder A may
>> have all 3, while folder B lacks the RSS2 feed. I tried inserting
>> another viewlet into the manager, but so far haven't gotten it to
>> work. So I'm asking for advice...
>
> This leaves me asking, "what did you try"... Did you fail to install a
> viewlet? Did you fail to make it have the layout you want? There's not
> enough information here to help you. If I ignored the post the first
> time, it was probably because of the open-ended question. ;-)

OK, perhaps I wasn't adequately following the question guidelines...

>> #####
>
> A viewlet can be made to work - as can a bunch of regular actions and
> some creative CSS. At the end of the day, this comes down to CSS.

Ah, but, see, there *is* enough info to help! By merely saying it's
possible, I know that I should be able to figure it out. I thought that,
from the lack of reply, it might not be possible. Now I will redouble my
efforts. :)

>> I am guessing that, if I hit the similar problems twice in two very
>> different contexts in a few weeks, either I have a systematic
>> misunderstanding or there's a real challenge here. It seems to me that
>> it would be nice if actions were more flexible, to be able to render a
>> nested viewlet as well as a URL. This would give product authors much
>> more flexibility. What do y'all think?
>
> I don't think it'd be appropriate to change the actions machinery for
> this. If actions aren't flexible enough for you, you're most likely
> going to be able to register a new viewlet, order it properly, and style
> it with CSS.

So, yes, it was a systematic misunderstanding. Thanks, Martin!

Derek