Portlet settings from a GS profile?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Oct 1 21:37:30 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli, on 2007-10-01:
> Hi Raphael,
>
>> in a "site product" I'm doing I would like to set the
>> portlet configuration from an extension profile but
>> I get the impression that that's currently (Plone 3.0.1)
>> not supported - or am I missing something?
>
> It's not - and it should be. We just never had time to do it. The
> hardest part for me was to come up with a sensible syntax that is able
> to deal with contextual/location-specific portlets, deciding how to deal
> with loading portlets of arbitrary types with arbitrary properties (a
> portlet assignment is just a persistent class), and deciding how to
> export contextual/location-specific portlets efficiently.
>
> Ideas?

Let me think out loud here.

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <portlet-assignments>
    <portlet
        type="contenttype"
        name="portlets.rss"
        condition="Folder"
        />
    <portlet
        type="context"
        name="portlets.Login"
        condition="/front-page"
        />
    <portlet
        type="group"
        name="portlets.Events"
        condition="Party People"
        />
  </portlet-assignments>

This could go in portlets.xml or a new file.  Has anyone given thought
to this?  Is it an option to add content type portlets to the xml file
of that content type?  (I guess not.)

The first portlet assignment adds an rss portlet to the content type
Folder.  That could be a portal_type or maybe an interface: whatever
is done by the current types configlet I would say.  The name of the
portlet is as it is called in
e.g. plone/app/portlets/portlets/configure.zcml

The second portlet assignment adds a login portlet by context to the
front-page.  The condition would be the path from the portal root.

The third portlet assignment adds an events portlet to the group with
the name "Party People".  BTW, I have not yet done anything with this
type of portlet.

Does this make sense?

--
Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [NL]