ANN: plone.browserlayer - installable layers for view components that are visible after product install only

Florian Schulze florian.schulze at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 15:29:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:17:06 +0200, Martin Aspeli
<optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Enter plone.browserlayer. This lets you register a layer using
> GenericSetup, i.e. during product installation. A traversal hook similar
> to the one in plone.theme ensures that it's applied when you traverse
> into the Plone site.
>
> [...]
>
> I'd like some feedback on this approach - I think it works pretty well,
> but there may be other things I haven't thought about. I'd also really
> appreciate a volunteer to write a quick how-to on this, to save me the
> trouble. :-)

Hi!

I just stumbled over this while looking through commit messages.

I'm not sure about the actual implications of this yet. Could you give an
example where this is needed? Would it also help to separate parts of
plone to make them more easily toggleable? Is plone.theme the analog of a
CMF skin and plone.browserlayer is the analog of a CMF skin layer? As you
can guess, I don't see the whole of this yet.

Regards,
Florian Schulze