Old custom products and plone 3?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Mon Oct 1 10:51:20 UTC 2007

incunabulum wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> with Plone 3 being out of the door for quite a while I am thinking about
> upgrading some old (quite simple) products from the Plone 2.0 / 2.1 days...
> Generic Setup vs. QuickInstaller, ZopeSkel, Viewlets etc. are a bunch of
> issues I may need to look into.
>
> So, now I am looking for pointers about the best way to do this. What would
> you suggest? Just patch the old product to get it working ? Or restart from
> scratch and develop some migration script? Is there some DIY-Product script
> available?

For realestatebroker (old plone 2.0 product, also never updated for 2.1
or 2.5), I've chosen to make a fully new product. The archetypes fields
and so will be the same, but it'll be a pure 3.0 lib/python product now
with genericsetup and so.

Why? A chance to clean up the product and make sure 3.5 will be real
easy to support. Fixing up some import statements and moving parts of
install.py to genericsetup is also a possibility, but to me the
endresult will probably still feel messy compared to modern code.

Drawback: you'll need migration. ATCT has/had handy migration code,
though I can't find it right away.

I'll probably blog about the experience, you'll see it on
planet.plone.org when I do :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees  - Programmer at http://zestsoftware.nl/
http://vanrees.org/weblog/     mailto:reinout at vanrees.org
"White space, the opposite of black hole?" -- Joris slob