Getting Description on Folderish objects.

Hedley Roos hedley at upfrontsystems.co.za
Wed Nov 21 07:07:57 UTC 2007

You are correct in wanting to re-use the Description field; however, I
have found that Description does not re-order nicely in the schemata.
You'll probably want to do that because Description is usually a field
that appears at the top of an edit form. Not only that, but you must
move Description from the metadata schemata to the default schemata for
base_edit to pick it up on die edit tab.

So because of those issues what I do is to define a field, let's call it
Foo in my own schema, and in my class I have

def Description(self):
   return self.getFoo()

The Description field will still display on the properties (aka
metadata) tab, but it will contain the value of Foo which is in the
default schemata (thus the edit tab's initial view).

It is not proper re-use of the Description field, but it works well. And
if Description on the properties tab bothers you then grab the widget
and hide it.