Improve plone.recipe.distros and ZopeSkel

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Nov 9 10:50:19 UTC 2007

Jean-Michel wrote:

> i post this mail to discuss about that modification and if it s possible
> integrate it in the recipe and ZopeSkel. My goal is to remove zope "magic"
>  aspect, and keep the structure as simple as possible.

Products.* is "magic" in Zope for several reasons. When you use
plone.recipe.plone, you are signalling that you want to use Plone as a
dependency (i.e. you're not working on Plone itself). Really, you shouldn't
care where it's installed, or how.

Changing the default here is not really an option. The ZopeSkel-generated
buildout is used a lot, and documented in multiple places (including on
plone.org and in my book). Changing paths arbitrarily would almost certainly
end up breaking things.

Having a Products/ and __init__.py there is just fluff that doesn't really
mean anything to Zope or Plone. The long term solution here is to get rid of
the products folder dumping ground altogether, and package up the various
Plone products as eggs in the Products.* namespace. We're likely to see that
for Plone 4, if not before (e.g. 3.1 or 3.2 as an option).

That said, buildout is a very flexible system. You could make your own
recipe, perhaps subclassing plone.recipe.plone. or use something like
infrae.subversion to check out a bundle from svn into wherever you want or
create a new recipe altogether. You could also do something clever with
symlinks, I suspect.

Martin