UML For External Methods? (archgenxml)

jjmojojjmojo joshjohnson.cpc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:29:23 UTC 2007

Matthew Wilkes wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2007, at 19:47, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>> Previously jjmojojjmojo wrote:
>>> I'm using AGX to generate product code. I'm adding a few external
>>> methods,
>>> and I want to document the function definitions in my UML diagram.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to define my external methods in UML so AGX
>>> generates the
>>> method signatures?
>>
>> This list is for development of Plone, not for developing with Plone.
>> Please use the plone-users list instead.
>
> This is product-developers not plone-developers.  Seems on topic to me.
>
> AFAIK this is not possible in AGX, I suppose you could make a model
> that just has a content type (maybe with the <<zope_class>> stereotype
> to reduce cruft) which you can use, but it seems a bit of a round the
> houses way of doing it.
>
> If you've got a large number of external methods you might want to
> consider that they would be better in a product
>
> Matt

Right now I've got the class stereotyped with <<python_class>>, but from
what I can tell, Zope wants a "static" method, something it can call outside
of a class instance (I have to admit I'm relatively new to python... I want
to say there's a way to call a class method statically, but I'm having
trouble finding examples).

I also tried marking the methods static in UML, which looked promising (AGX
decorates the methods with staticmethod()), but the external methods failed
to register in the ZMI (adding manually).

At the moment the external methods are living in the Extensions directory of
a product (maybe I'm confusing what you mean by "in a product"), but I
eventually want to move them to a secondary product. They import legacy data
from an existing RDBMS, and are very specific to particular applications of
the product. The main product establishes the content types, the secondary
product will set up some site structure and provide the import methods for a
specific implementation. It's mostly theoretical right now, but I think
it'll work.

Thanks!