Uninstalling GenericSetup profiles

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Tue Nov 6 03:34:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007, Kevin Teague wrote:
>You can take a snapshot of the configuration of your Plone site in the
>portal_setup tool before running a GenericSetup product. Then if you
>want to "uninstall" it, you can revert to the previous snapshot.
>
>If you are installing a GenericSetup using Product with
>Quickinstaller, then the normal install/uninstall methods in
>Extentions/Install.py are still called and the product can still
>uninstall itself as normal.
>
>Note that regardless of the method (GenericSetup or Quickinstaller)
>uninstall isn't always a guarantee. Consider a 'installer' that
>changes the Title of your Plone Site for example. Well, if you had set
>this to something else previously, should the uninstaller attempt to
>remember the previous setting so it can rever to it, revert to the
>default settings, or leave that property alone?

IMHO, a properly written product that changes something like that
will save the previous value somewhere so that it can be reset
when uninstalling the product.

Unfortunately too many software projects don't pay any attention to
uninstalling themselves.  It reminds me of the old Tom Lehrer song ``Once
the rockets go up, I don't care where they come down.  That's not my
department said Werner Von Braun''

Bill

Liberty don't work as good in practice as it does in speeches.
    Will Rogers