Plone4ArtistsVideo (was: ATGoogleVideo Plone 3 compatibility patch)

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sun May 27 19:38:48 UTC 2007

Nate Aune wrote:

> Hi Hector,
>
> You may want to consider using Plone4ArtistsVideo which includes
> p4a.videoembed. Thanks to Alec Mitchell (cc'ed), p4a.videoembed lets you
> add
> videos from Google Video, YouTube, blip.tv and about a dozen other video
> sharing sites. See the README here:
> http://plone4artists.org/svn/projects/p4a.videoembed/trunk/README.txt
>
> p4a.videoembed can be used in a pure Zope 3 environment, and with the
> addition of the p4a.plonevideoembed wrapper, it can be used in Plone as
> well.  When you download Plone4ArtistsVideo, it comes with both of these
> python libraries. http://plone4artists.org/products/plone4artistsvideo
>
> You add a linked video to your Plone site, by adding a normal ATLink
> object,
> and pasting in the URL from Google Video, YouTube, etc.  After you have
> added the video, you choose 'activate video link' from the 'actions' menu.
> The normal Link view will turn into a embedded video view with the player
> rendered in the browser.

Nate, Alec -

Plone4ArtistsVideoEmbed is really cool -- elegant and simple.

I'm wondering outloud if it would make sense (or even be possible) to
harness these URL transforms as PortalTransforms (ala Wicked?), so that one
could simply put a tag like [[videoembed: <youtube-or-other-video-url>]]
into an existing document, and have it automatically transform into an
embedded video when the document gets saved.

This would let people embed videos into existing pages, which (at least
according to my clients) is what a lot folks seem to really want to do.

best,
jon