Migration profiles for add-on products?

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Sat May 12 08:56:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

Daniel Nouri wrote:
>>From skimming over this (it's late), this sounds all terrific, Maurits!  May
> I suggest you write a summary also to the plone-dev list?  I'm not sure
> who's subscribed to this add-on developers list and who's not, but I have
> the feeling that people like Rob, who's been doing GS / migration work at
> recent sprints, and Wichert, who did the profiles-for-migration work in
> Plone need to read about this stuff, too.

At least I didn't read this list so far ;)

I haven't read all the mails in detail, but I have the feeling we are
duplicating lots of effort here.

Rob and Tres did some great work on GenericSetup which is available from
a branch of GS right now:
svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/GenericSetup/branches/tseaver-bbq_sprint

While Rob can explain this in more detail I guess, here's a short
version from the CHANGES.txt:

- Profiles now support version numbers; setup tool tracks profile
versions during upgrades.

- Added support for nested 'upgradeStep' directives; expanded upgrade
step registry into a real registry object and not just a dictionary.

- Added support for 'metadata.xml' in the profile (read during profile
registration) to register profile description, version and dependencies.

- Merged CPS's upgradeStep ZCML directive, w/ corresponding tool support.

I think most of the things discussed in this thread are to some extent
already built into that GS branch.

On the Plone integration side I would want to tweak QuickInstaller and
the add-on products control panel a bit so that in the end once a
product is installed and a new version is available an upgrade button
for the product is available. As we already store the currently
installed version number in the QuickInstaller tool we can do that even
for older products where the version numbers are not yet stored in the
portal_setup tool.

Hanno