DataGridField

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat May 12 07:00:03 UTC 2007

--On 12. Mai 2007 00:03:29 +0100 Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>
>> --On 11. Mai 2007 12:22:31 -0400 Rafael Nunez <rnunez at york.cuny.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to update my Product http://plone.org/products/faculty-cv to
>>> make it compatible with Plone 3.0
>>>
>>> I get this error when I try to add a new faculty
>>>
>>> Traceback (innermost last):
>>>    Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
>>>    Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>>    Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
>>>    Module archetypes.kss.validation, line 67, in kssValidateForm
>>>    Module archetypes.kss.validation, line 138, in validate
>>>    Module Products.DataGridField.DataGridWidget, line 170, in
>>>    process_form TypeError: len() of unsized object
>>>

>> You can easily look at the DGW sources and figure out why process_form()
>> fails in line 170 and build a workaround.
>
> It might not be so easy for everyone, but the suggestion is good. Also,
> if you post that function here, others may have an easier time spotting
> what's wrong.

The person asking has in the first place to chance to do some
investigations since the error is happening on its system. You know
yourself that it is hard to figure out the circumstances from a traceback
without further
knowledge about which data where used in this particular error situation.
That's why one should perform a closer analysis yourself. From reading the
traceback I just can imagine that there is code calling len(None)...but
the "why" can only be found on the system of the person asking. So as said:
the best way to hunt this down is using 'pdb' or some other Python debugger
in order to investigate the call stack and the arguments. If you want to
develop with Python, you must learn to use the existing tools for debugging.
Even as a not so advanced developer with non-Python background you can learn
using the Python tools easily.

Andreas