Migration profiles for add-on products?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri May 11 12:33:39 UTC 2007

Maurits van Rees-3 wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Plone 3.0 uses GenericSetup profiles to do its migration, which looks
> very handy.  I want to try that for an add-on product too
> (eXtremeManagement).
>
> But for every migration step a profile ends up in the list of
> portal_setup.  When Plone itself and various add-on products start
> doing this, this list will get longer and longer.
>
> I think that makes portal_setup confusing and less usable.  Is there a
> way to avoid this?
>
> Plone registers its migration profiles for the interface
> IMigratingPloneSiteRoot only:
>
>   class IMigratingPloneSiteRoot(Interface):
>       """
>       Marker interface used for migration GenericSetup profiles.
>       """
>
> This suggests to me that it might be meant to help in this area.  But
> this interface does not seem to be used anywhere.

It's not used anywhere. The "extension profiles" box and the quickinstaller
code all look for profiles registered for IPloneSiteRoot. By using something
different, we can hide it from those boxes, but not from portal_setup, which
is more low-level.

I'm not sure it's desirable to hide things from portal_setup, since that
would probably have other side-effects. Maybe this is something we need
support for at the CMF level, though - different types of profiles being
listed differently in the UI.

It may also be interesting to have a view (say, a control panel page?) which
could list migration profiles (categorised by product?) and allow them to be
invoked, therefore bypassing portal_setup for this purpose. With a big of
intelligence, we could also make sure that this executed sequences of
upgrade steps: alpha 1 -> alpha 2 -> beta 1 -> beta 2 -> beta 3 ... for a
particular product, from a particular start point.

Might be an interesting project. :) If it can be done in a light-weight
fashion, it'd be nice to have a single infrastructure for this that third
party products could depend on. importVarious-like steps could be used where
GS profiles weren't sufficiently flexible. Any takers?

Martin