Migration profiles for add-on products?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri May 11 11:51:39 UTC 2007

Hi again,

Plone 3.0 uses GenericSetup profiles to do its migration, which looks
very handy.  I want to try that for an add-on product too
(eXtremeManagement).

But for every migration step a profile ends up in the list of
portal_setup.  When Plone itself and various add-on products start
doing this, this list will get longer and longer.

I think that makes portal_setup confusing and less usable.  Is there a
way to avoid this?

Plone registers its migration profiles for the interface
IMigratingPloneSiteRoot only:

  class IMigratingPloneSiteRoot(Interface):
      """
      Marker interface used for migration GenericSetup profiles.
      """

This suggests to me that it might be meant to help in this area.  But
this interface does not seem to be used anywhere.

Thoughts?

--
Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [NL]
            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/