[Product Developers] Re: needed: "How to update your Products for Plone 3.0"

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu Mar 29 22:20:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:58:23 -0700, Jon Stahl
<jon at onenw.org> wrote:

> Now that Plone 3.0 is in beta, it seems like it might be a good time to
> flag the need for a short "how to" for add-on Product developers that
> will outline the steps they should take to make their add-on Products
> ready for Plone 3.0.

Here's the list I have accumulated so far:

- Document how to future-proof your application for the next Plone
   version (deactivate the plone_deprecated skin, make sure your product
   doesn't trigger any deprecation warnings in use, etc)

- All views are customized using portal_view_customizations

- Document how to update your product for 3.0:

     CMFCore.permissions conditional import (if you want to support
       2.1 — not necessary if you are targeting 2.5 or 3.0)

     Workflows have to be GS

     header.pt is now a viewlet

     Plone does not create member folders by default anymore

     All portlets now have a new infrastructure, you can add old-style
       portlets by using the Classic Portlet

     Do not ever rely on the JS libraries in Plone being the same
       across releases. Use the KSS abstractions, the underlying
       implementation might change.

     Plone Tableless was removed, any site or skin relying on this
       needs to be re-customized

     getToolByName has been deprecated in the CMF, use getUtility
       instead, see
       http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/docs/ToolsAreUtilities.stx?view=markup

     Document actions etc are now viewlets, and need to be updated if
       you add things here

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net