ArchgenXML with ArgoUML - text fields not working, and an ATBackRef question

chris chris at protaform.com
Wed Jul 18 08:19:20 UTC 2007

Hello Encolpe,

Sorry about the delay.

You can get Sane bi-directional references by setting up the UML like
this:-

-----------                              -----------
| Class-A |                              | Class-B |
----------- BR                         R -----------
|         |------------------------------|         |
-----------            link              -----------
|         |                              |         |
-----------                              -----------

Where:
 Class-A and Class-B are your Product's classes.
 link is a named directionless association
 R and BR are the named association ends.

Note, 'link' need not be named (it would automagically be named 'R-BR'
if no name is supplied - I just prefer to be explicit as I think it
makes matching the resulting code to the original UML easier).  However,
it _must_ be directionless.  I'm pretty sure weird things happen if the
association has a direction.

Also note, 'R' will be the Reference field defined in, and displayed on
the Class-A object.  BR will become a BackReference field in Class-B.

To complete the UML, add a tagged value to 'BR' of:
 mode:'r'

The 'mode' tagged value is not listed in the ArchGenXML getting started
guide, but it is a valid schema parameter, and ArchGenXML will pass it
through to the code correctly.

To generate the product, run ArcheGenXML with the
--backrefernces-support=YES switch.

After much testing I do not believe it is possible to have a reference
that can be set/managed from either end - you must choose one 'master'
class where the link is controlled from.

Hope this helps,

Chris.