[Product-Developers] PyPI support in PloneSoftwareCenter

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:52:23 UTC 2007

wichert wrote:

> If I remember correctly you did not use a canonical list of trove
> categories but accept everything. If so I think that is the wrong thing
> to do: it means we will never catch typos in there and it encourages
> creation of unlimited categories instead of restricting them to a select
> number of widely accepted useful ones. I'm not sure separate lists of
> Trove classifiers per index is useful.

Right now the categories are not wired; but here's a few facts, and what I
have planned to do

- The cheeseshop index will accepts any classifiers, and will just pick the
one it knows. This means that there will be just warnings on unknown
categories and that's enough to cover typos.

- The trove classifiers is not set by the packages that are beeing uploaded.
It is managed by the server-side.

- Servers that are not PyPI will be encouraged to use the same trove
  classification *but* will be able to create new ones. This will
  allow a private server to deal with special categories.

on PSC level, we can set by default the PyPI trove and add an option to
allow or disallow category changes. We can also have an option to
tell if PSC is permissive in that matter or not (if it pops a warning
on unknown classifier or an error)

here's a thread I started about this in catalog-sig:
http://www.nabble.com/permissive-trove-classification-td14504481.html

wichert wrote:

> What do you do with the long description? Is that used for the release
> object or the project object? Do you think it would be possibe to
> somehow add some magic that allows us to separately register the project
> readme, release readme and release changelog information?

The long description is used to upgrade the front page of the given project,
like what is beeing done on cheeseshop. I have used the same
format: if it's a reStructuredtext file it will appear correctly.

For changing the project metadata, you can just use 'register' instead
of upload, it will upgrade all metadata, including that long description.

Now we can think of other visual upgrades on the project pages I guess,
nothing else is done yet on that field

wichert wrote:

> If possible it would be nice to have something that will disallow
> eggs uploads if there is no sdist upload. That forces people to upload
> sources which will work on all platforms.

Nothing is done on that field yet, all kind of releases can be uploaded.
But a policy would be nice indeed. I guess that is a policy we can add at
the project level and at the root level (the project level would override
the root one)

Tarek