[Product-Developers] Deploying with plone_hosting (workaround for 'mydir' issue)

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Fri Dec 21 13:43:07 UTC 2007

I have a concern about the bin/control script from the plone_hosting
template. I've had to hack it and am wondering if it there is a better
way.
When I symlink the bin/control script to
/etc/init.d/plonehosting_control and attempt to run

   /etc/init.d/plonehosting_control start

I get the following output

 Starting buildout in /etc
 /etc/init.d/plonehosting_control: line 23: /etc/init.d/zeo: No such
file or directory

My work around is to go to the bin/control script and hardcode the
location of 'mydir'.

The top of my bin/control script looks like this:

 #!/bin/sh

 set -e

 myself="$0"
 case "$myself" in
    (/*)
        mydir="$(dirname $myself)"
        ;;

    (*)
        mydir="$(dirname $(pwd)/$myself)"
        ;;
 esac

 #hardcoded location of mydir
# my directory is the location of the bin/control script
 mydir=/my-buildout/bin

Then everything works as expected.

On another note, on Debian Sarge, I had install 'ncurses-dev' before
varnish would compile properly:

 aptitude install ncurses-dev