[Product-Developers] Re: making a product with buildout and paster

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Dec 20 18:31:48 UTC 2007

swank wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to follow an example in Martin Aspeli's "Professional Plone
> Development" book.  According to the book, after the paster command:
>
> paster create -t plone name.product
>
> you should have the following in the src/name.product/name/productcontent
> directory:
> __init.py
> browser/
> config.py
> configure.zcml
> content/
> interfaces.py
> portlets/
> profiles/
> README.txt
> tests/
> version.txt
>
> When I follow the example I get:
> __init__.py
> configure.zcml
> tests.py

Where are you reading this (as in, which page)? You do not get those
directories automatically from the 'plone' template, they are merely the
ones that we create for the optilux.cinemacontent package.

> I could easily create the directories and blank files for the missing items.
> I would just like to know, though, if I am missing out on some generated
> code.  There is a lot of typing to do to create a product using a buildout,
> it seems.  I just want to know if something might be wrong with my paster
> that is depriving me of precious generated code.

No, you're meant to create them (well, the ones you need - if you have
no portlets, say, you don't need the portlets directory).

There are richer templates, such as the 'archetype' template that comes
with newer versions of ZopeSkel (and are based on the book's sample
code). You may want to try those (or make your own templates).

Cheers,
Martin