Merging with svnX

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Aug 29 09:14:01 UTC 2007

George Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using svnX on a Mac -- does anybody know how to merge changes from one
> branch to another using svnX (rather than svn in the command line)?
>
> Or do people have other suggestions for GUIs for svn for a Mac that work
> well?

GUI schmuie. :)

I'd suggest using the command line client, I've found it much more
predictable. Merging is actually not that hard. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html#svn.ref.svn.c.merge - the
examples should be all you need.

Basically, the process is: Check out the thing you want to merge *to*. Use
svn merge and specify the thing you want to merge *from*, and the revisions
you want to merge (dev.plone.org is useful here).

Then resolve any local confilcts, run the tests (!) and do svn commit.

Martin