PSC, PHC & POI

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Tue Aug 28 18:51:20 UTC 2007

Excellent! The feedback below is regarding PHC.

 > I'm not quite sure what SteveM & co have in mind for PHC. It may be
best to
 > just move curent trunk of PSC and PHC to /branches/plone-2.5 and then
work
 > directly in trunk. We want to move plone.org to Plone 3 sooner rather
than
 > later as well.

For PHC: I suggest you copy the current trunk to /branches/1.0 and we'll
complete the rollout of PHC 1.0 from that branch (it's currently at
1.0-RC1). 1.0's compatibility targets are Plone 2.1.x and 2.5.x, and it
should be out soon. (If you don't do the branch soon, I will.)

 > Every bit helps. When we work on future PxC features, I'd like to use
Plone
 > 3 features. I'm not 100% sure if we can move plone.org to plone 3 fast
 > enough, but we sure as hell should try. ;-)

I signed up for release manager for PHC 1.0, but the future's open.
My current thinking on PHC is that we should try to get out an
intermediate release (maybe 1.5) very soon that will be compatible with
Plone 2.5.x and Plone 3.0. That would offer basically the same feature
set as the current version. The goal would be a well-tested release that
supports the two current Plone versions.

Lots of ideas are floating around for a more ambitious future PHC. I
suggest we use the roadmap
<http://plone.org/products/plonehelpcenter/roadmap> and start pitching
proposals. We should also ask the documentation team for feedback, as
they'll have to live with the outcome.

Meanwhile, if you want to work on features that exploit Plone 3, but
can't be made compatible with Plone 2.5.x, I suggest you open a branch
specifically for that purpose.

Steve

Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Raphael Ritz wrote:
>> [sorry for cross-posting but I think this is of interest to both lists]
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> for a site I'm about to do I want to use PloneSoftwareCenter (PSC),
>> PloneHelpCenter (PHC) and POI pretty much like they are deployed
>> on plone.org except I want to do this using Plone 3, of course ;-)
>>
>> To this end, those products (and their dependencies) need to be
>> upgraded to some extend (e.g., switching to GS-based installation
>> as they provide custom workflows).
>>

> This is great! We could use more hands on this. :)
>

>> Now my questions:
>>
>> 1. Has anyone started doing some of this already somewhere?
>> With the exception of a plone3-support branch for POI
>> I have not seen anything in the repository yet.
>>

> PSC and PHC trunk have seen general cleanup, e.g. moving some of the jungle
> of methods from content objects into views. I'd start there, but I don't
> know if anyone's tried Plone 3 directly.
>

>> 2. Related to the above: if I start working on this, where should I best
>> branch off? Mostly off current trunk I guess but for PSC there is
>> also a 'maturity-roadmap-refectoring' branch (which is also used
>> by the PloneOrg dev-bundle). Any pointers maybe where to start for what?
>>

> I'm not quite sure what SteveM & co have in mind for PHC. It may be best to
> just move curent trunk of PSC and PHC to /branches/plone-2.5 and then work
> directly in trunk. We want to move plone.org to Plone 3 sooner rather than
> later as well.
>

>> 3. I plan to work against the Plone 3.0 release or are there reasons
>> to better develop against plone trunk? (I want the deployment to use
>> the release after all)
>>

> I'd work against the the branches/3.0 version of ploneout, or an actual
> release. Trunk may break at any moment. ;-)
>

>> Note that my primary goal is to make these products available from
>> Plone 3. I'm not considering any major refactorings other than to
>> make them work on Plone 3 but I know that people have ideas on how to
>> improve them further.
>>

> Every bit helps. When we work on future PxC features, I'd like to use Plone
> 3 features. I'm not 100% sure if we can move plone.org to plone 3 fast
> enough, but we sure as hell should try. ;-)
>

>> While I've noticed that POI when used from within PSC behaves a bit
>> differently I've never cared so far to figure out exactly what this
>> is about. Any pointer anywhere which would help me grasping the intended
>> changes right away?
>>

> There is a PoiPscTracker, which is the only point of deviation. This
> basically ties Poi release milestones into PSC releases. There shouldn't be
> much more than that.
>
> Martin

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC