PSC, PHC & POI

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Aug 28 13:31:25 UTC 2007

Raphael Ritz wrote:

> [sorry for cross-posting but I think this is of interest to both lists]
>
> Hi folks,
>
> for a site I'm about to do I want to use PloneSoftwareCenter (PSC),
> PloneHelpCenter (PHC) and POI pretty much like they are deployed
> on plone.org except I want to do this using Plone 3, of course ;-)
>
> To this end, those products (and their dependencies) need to be
> upgraded to some extend (e.g., switching to GS-based installation
> as they provide custom workflows).

This is great! We could use more hands on this. :)

> Now my questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone started doing some of this already somewhere?
> With the exception of a plone3-support branch for POI
> I have not seen anything in the repository yet.

PSC and PHC trunk have seen general cleanup, e.g. moving some of the jungle
of methods from content objects into views. I'd start there, but I don't
know if anyone's tried Plone 3 directly.

> 2. Related to the above: if I start working on this, where should I best
> branch off? Mostly off current trunk I guess but for PSC there is
> also a 'maturity-roadmap-refectoring' branch (which is also used
> by the PloneOrg dev-bundle). Any pointers maybe where to start for what?

I'm not quite sure what SteveM & co have in mind for PHC. It may be best to
just move curent trunk of PSC and PHC to /branches/plone-2.5 and then work
directly in trunk. We want to move plone.org to Plone 3 sooner rather than
later as well.

> 3. I plan to work against the Plone 3.0 release or are there reasons
> to better develop against plone trunk? (I want the deployment to use
> the release after all)

I'd work against the the branches/3.0 version of ploneout, or an actual
release. Trunk may break at any moment. ;-)

> Note that my primary goal is to make these products available from
> Plone 3. I'm not considering any major refactorings other than to
> make them work on Plone 3 but I know that people have ideas on how to
> improve them further.

Every bit helps. When we work on future PxC features, I'd like to use Plone
3 features. I'm not 100% sure if we can move plone.org to plone 3 fast
enough, but we sure as hell should try. ;-)

> While I've noticed that POI when used from within PSC behaves a bit
> differently I've never cared so far to figure out exactly what this
> is about. Any pointer anywhere which would help me grasping the intended
> changes right away?

There is a PoiPscTracker, which is the only point of deviation. This
basically ties Poi release milestones into PSC releases. There shouldn't be
much more than that.

Martin