Using viewlets (and views) in third-party products

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 00:43:22 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Perhaps it can more generic. Basically both are instances of a 'only
> apply X when condition Y is satisfied'. Y in this case is either a
> specific skin being selected or a product being installed. Would it be
> possible to have a generic 'only use if feature X is here' framework in
> place? That could be added to plone.theme instead of creating another
> package that hooks into the same places as well.

Is that an endorsement for having a generalisation of this in
plone.theme, and having that included in 3.0.x rather than 3.5?

We need this to be accessible to third party product authors pre-3.5,
certainly.

We also need this to be dead-simple for third party product authors to
use, so even if it's generalised, that use case should be supported with
simple GS syntax or similar.

Finally, we need to be cognizant of performance: this runs on each request.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress