Currency management in Plone

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Fri Aug 24 08:49:30 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> I just released version 1.0b1 of a new product: simplon.plone.currency.
>>> This is a simple product for Plone 3 that allows you to manage different
>>> currencies in your site: you can add and remove currencies and manage
>>> their conversion rates. It includes a database with description and symbols
>>> for all currencies as well.
>>>
>>> By itself this product is not very useful. It is intended to be used
>>> as a component in products that need to use currencies in some way. If
>>> anyone is working on such a product I would love to hear some feedback.
>>>
>>> You can find more information and a downloadable package in the
>>> python package index:
>>> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/simplon.plone.currency/1.0b1
>> I have looked at it briefly and wonder why you didn't reuse the currency
>> information available in zope.i18n.locales?
>
> Probably because it had not occured to me. I do notice that the symbol
> information in zope.i18n.locales is incorrect for a large number of
> currencies which makes it unusable at the moment. However it should
> definitely be possible to pull the description for a currency from
> there.

I haven't used the currency part of zope.i18n so far, so I missed the
wrong symbols. When you still want to use the formatting, you can also
set a custom format (or change the default one not to include the
symbol). But the list of all available currencies including their
descriptions and translations might still be interesting.

> I'll see if using zope.i18n.locales is doable.

Re-use not reinvent, love that :)

Hanno

P.S. The locales information in there are based on an ICU version from
2002 or so, so they might be outdated in some areas. I've been meaning
to update that stuff to a current release but had other priorities so far ;)