Notes on Collage

Veda Williams veda at onenw.org
Tue Aug 21 22:53:21 UTC 2007

Hello,

After some experimentation with Collage, I have a few comments / questions.

1) All changes happen instantaneously. Not a huge deal unless we're talking
about the home page of a site. Not sure how this will play with CacheFu if
the site is heavily cached. Maybe Malte can shed some light? Perhaps 3.0
staging will take care of this? Will the product be 3.0 ready anytime soon?

2) Go to a collage. Add new content to the first column of that collage.
Suddenly, you change your mind and want to move that to another area within
your collage. To do this, try to go to another column in your collage, and
say "add existing". Add it. Go back to the first column and try to delete it
from the first column. It deletes the entire content object from both
columns and does not give you the option of pasting it elsewhere. Ideally,
drag and drop would be great for this.

3) It is hard to tell what is in your collage. The only way to do this is to
drill down to a collage column and view the contents tab via Manage Page /
Contents / Edit an object / Click on the column you are modifying in the
navigation area. You do not get a contents tab when accessing your collage
from its main "root" level, which would be ideal. Additionally, even when
you can see navigation items in the navigation portlet, they are not named.

4) You can cut and paste from the Contents tab of your collage and move
items from area to another (a workaround for the second issue above).
However, if you try and cut and paste the contents of your collage to an
area outside of your collage (to preserve the content in case you don't want
to accidentally delete it), you can't. All objects created within a Collage
are considered Collage objects, not regular Plone objects, as far as I can
tell.

For our group -- and for flexibility down the road -- we are thinking that
perhaps we should not add content objects directly into a Collage, but
rather add all of those items to another non-Collage folder. That way we
have an upgrade path in the future if we need one.

5) Create a content object outside of your collage. Add it to a collage. It
claims to add it as an alias. Delete it from your collage. It deletes it
from the collage, but the deletion message implies that it will delete the
actual content object from your site, not just an alias. The only way to
know that you aren't deleting a piece of content is the "alias" tag next to
an item on your collage. Not entirely intuitive.

6) When results from Rich Topics/Smart Folders aren¹t returning anything you
still see Title and Description. These items should be able to
programmatically disappear.

7) If we could build some out of the box layouts and save those in a
library, that would be super great.

All in all, a great tool, and we are very excited!

- Veda

--
Veda Williams
Project Manager/CMS Designer