Replacing the portal_syndication tool through migration

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Aug 9 14:37:25 UTC 2007

Derek Richardson-2 wrote:

> Thanks Martin and Wichert! Now that I know *how* to do it, the question
> is: *should* I? Thus I am curious about why replacing a tool would be
> regressing.
>
> I planned on replacing the portal_syndication tool to remove the
> frequency settings (because all feeds will be updated immediately upon
> publishing an item) and to add some other settings. I will be replacing
> all the useful functionality of the legacy syndication code, so that
> isn't a reason to keep the tool around (some third-party product might
> have a dependency, but I don't know...). If I just get rid of the legacy
> portal_syndication tool, where do I keep my site-wide settings? In a z3
> utility with a configlet UI?

I would create a local utility for storign the settings, and a confliglet to
manage it (look at plone.app.controlpanel - making those is easy).

If you need to provide BBB compatibility code, then subclassing/facading the
tool can make sense, but I'd limit it to that function only.

Replacing persistent tools is icky.

Martin