Replacing the portal_syndication tool through migration

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 9 14:09:34 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Derek Richardson wrote:
> Note that if you need to replace a tool for anything other than strictly
> providing a compatability interface for legacy code, you're regressing
> rather than progressing.

Thanks Martin and Wichert! Now that I know *how* to do it, the question
is: *should* I? Thus I am curious about why replacing a tool would be
regressing.

I planned on replacing the portal_syndication tool to remove the
frequency settings (because all feeds will be updated immediately upon
publishing an item) and to add some other settings. I will be replacing
all the useful functionality of the legacy syndication code, so that
isn't a reason to keep the tool around (some third-party product might
have a dependency, but I don't know...). If I just get rid of the legacy
portal_syndication tool, where do I keep my site-wide settings? In a z3
utility with a configlet UI?

Derek