Replacing the portal_syndication tool through migration

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Aug 9 07:44:48 UTC 2007

Derek Richardson wrote:
> Is there documentation that will show me how to modify or replace the
> portal_syndication tool during a migration?

Maybe not, but look at e.g. Remember and how it mangles portal_setup.

It's in fact quite simple. A tool is just a persistent object in the
root of the Plone site in the ZODB. You can _delObject() it and add it
again.

Note that if you need to replace a tool for anything other than strictly
providing a compatability interface for legacy code, you're regressing
rather than progressing.

> Is generic setup ready to tackle
> this in 3.0? Or is there an old-school way of doing it that I will have to master?
>
> The summer of code draws to a close and I face migration....

;-)

GS does give you the ability to manage the upgrade steps, i.e. to invoke
them, but not to do the actual tool migration (at least not easily).

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress